Default Advice for a beginner?

I just rode a ski for the first time the other day. I loved it, and now I want one

How do you know what to look for in a used ski? How do you know if its a fair price? Should I get stand up or sit down?

I'm 5'6", 130 lbs, female in Pickering. I rode a sit down the other day. I did some small wake jumps and some 180s. I'm worried I won't be able to do many tricks if I get a sit down, but I do like how the sit downs can fit multiple people and I can waterski behind them.

Any advice would be appreciated

PWC
    lots of superjets, a 800sxr,some wave blasters, a waveblaster 2, a 650 sx, some 550s

Hi St. Claire, I would highly recommend you ride as many different PWCs as possible before making a decision. Each sit down and stand up has is own strengths and weaknesses. If you are looking for a stand up, I would recommend riding a Yamaha Superjet and see if you like its handling characteristics. Yamaha has been making Superjets since 1990, so there are bargains out there and the 650 and 701 powerplants are very reliable and they hold their value. Yamaha made a squarenose Superjet from 1990 to 1995. 1990 to 1993 had a 650cc engine and 1994 to 1995 had a 701 engine. In 1996 to 2007 Yamaha made a roundnose Superjet with a duel carb. 701 engine with different case design. There are many choices with sitdowns so you definitely need to ride the machines. Wakeboarding behind a PWC is not as fun as with a boat. The main problem is the rope is pointing at a downward angle, forcing you down when you get airborne and also putting downward pressure on your body when you ride. If you have further questions, please ask. Michael.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. You suggest trying lots of different skis. Where can one go to try out different models? I can't even find a place that rents any stand-ups, let alone several different kinds. Thanks

--St. Claire

PWC
    lots of superjets, a 800sxr,some wave blasters, a waveblaster 2, a 650 sx, some 550s

Hi St. Claire, When I worked at a PWC dealership we demoed almost every model we sold two to four times a week. Some dealerships have demo days, once a month during the late spring to early summer. Even, if you cannot ride the machines definitely sit on the machines and pretend ride. Steering ergonomics from one machine to another are different. Also the seat width and height are different from one manufacture to another. One example are Yamaha GP 1200R and 1300R have extremely wide seats.(funny because their main racers were 5'6" to 5'7" ) In concerns to testing standups, most people I know are pretty open in letting someone try their machine if you talk to them a bit. I let people ride my stock to mild limited skis, however with my heavily modified skis I don't ,but it would be a disservice to them anyway. Have you set up a price range or perameters you are looking for in a PWC?(storage, speed, carrying passengers, stability, carving ability, comfort, fuel economy) Also, have you decided which body of water you will use your future machines?(smooth water or rough water)
    Larger vessels (three seaters) typically outperform smaller machines (two seaters) in rougher water.

PWC

Hi St. Caire, When I worked at a dealership we demoed between two to four times a week. Most dealership will have a demo day once a month during the late spring. Even if you can not ride the machines, do sit on them. The stearing controls are ergonomically different from each of the manufactures. Also the width and the height of the seats are different. One example are Yamaha GP 1200R and 1300R, their seats are high and wide. Funny because their racers were all short and thin. Kawasakis of that time period had very low seats. Stand ups on the other hand are not demoed. Most people are every enthusiastic about sharing their stand up passion, so if you convey your interest to them, most people will let you ride their machines. I let people ride my stock to mild limited skis, but not my heavily modified skis, it would also be a disservice to them. Have you set up a price range or perameters in your future PWC? ( comfort, speed, fuel economy, storage, handeling extra passingers or stability). Also where are you going to do most of your riding? Larger vessels (three seaters) typically ride better than smaller vessels (two seaters) in rougher conditions.

PWC
    Sadly not anymore

As Mikeski alluded to I'd say figure out whether you want to play around ,do tricks and wave jumps on a stand up or tow, cruise and do minor wave jumps on a sit down. This is really the biggest difference. You won't be doing a two hour cruise on a standup like you can on a sit down. On the flip side if you want to just go to the lake and do tricks you'll probably get bored quick on a sit down.
    Does that help? After you figure that out you can narrow down machine, price etc.

PWC
    701 SN SJ

Quote Originally Posted by st_claire View Post
    I just rode a ski for the first time the other day. I loved it, and now I want one

How do you know what to look for in a used ski? How do you know if its a fair price? Should I get stand up or sit down?

I'm 5'6", 130 lbs, female in Pickering. I rode a sit down the other day. I did some small wake jumps and some 180s. I'm worried I won't be able to do many tricks if I get a sit down, but I do like how the sit downs can fit multiple people and I can waterski behind them.

Must of been a nice brisk ride if you just went for your first ride this time of year...If your ever up in the midland area than your more than welcome to take mine for a rip. I've got a 97 Sj with a few goodies on it and a 97 SPX.

Also, if you are looking for advice on skis than just ask...I can help direct you in the right direction in terms of price and stuff, may even be able to help you find something.
    Last edited by SERiOUS; 04-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by st_claire View Post

Late seeing this thread, but...
    I ride my skis like a stand-up even though they have seats because they are more fun that way.
    (My preference is a small fast ski over large)
    Picking up a used ski is an unknown. It's just the luck of the draw at times as something can go wrong even when things seemed great. Just never know.
    However, maintenance is an important factor. I would think that if properly maintained, then it was in careful hands and possibly a good ski. Just some little things in fact that I learned from local mechanic Chester. Like greasing the drive shaft bearings. Seems simple, yet most who buy a used ski aren't given that information as the seller may not even know. And they can seize over the winter, not to mention winterizing as a must do. And changing that little oil filter.

Valid questions can be extracted from the above. Asking the owner when it was last serviced, what was done, when was the filter changed last, how often did he/she grease the shaft bearings....will give you an indication.

Cheers .)
    Last edited by SideFX; 06-01-2008 at 09:11 PM.