PWC
    Sadly not anymore

Default PWC Accident on the Fraser

Anyone have any more details on this accident that happened yesterday? Not sure what he would have been doing to hit a log boom. This happened yesterday (Sunday July 27th). Hope the guy is ok.

A man was badly hurt after the jet-ski he was riding hit a log boom in the Fraser River Sunday afternoon.

Corporal Sarah Lynn Hicky with the Victoria Rescue Centre explains, "At around 2pm a jet-ski collided with a log boom at high speed near the Arthur Laing Bridge. There were two people on the jet-ski. The first, an adult male, who was badly injured, and a young girl, who was uninjured."

Hicky says the Coast Guard Vessel Sea Island One went to the scene and transported the man to ambulance.

Richmond RCMP say the victims are a father and daughter. They say the ten-year old was treated at Children's Hospital and released, while her father is believed to be at VGH. No word on his injuries, but police say they believe they are non-life threatening.

No, but I can almost already see what's going to happen next.

PWC
    97 superjet

this might be a stupid question but what is a log boom?

PWC
    Superjet

Quote Originally Posted by wishihadasuperjet View Post
    this might be a stupid question but what is a log boom?
    floating logs tied together in sections to be towed by boats (tugs)

PWC
    2006 Seadoo GTX SC

I know that the guys i ride with are EXCELLENT around these - we usually slow down or stop and plan a route around them or get direction from the tug boat, like last time coming up the Fraser from the Ocean.
    TheBaldEagle
    aka Aaron

2006 Seadoo GTX SC
    2006 Honda Rubicon Canadian Trail Edition

Damn green-horns are going to wreck it for us.
    Don't like hearing any bad news about skiing accidents, as before we know it there will be distance barriers, helmet laws, mandatory insurance and all that big brother in your face crap that we can all live more without.

If I think back to my first days out, I was extremely cautious, for many rides, until I understood my craft and the water. Only then did I begin to push the envelope.
    Don't mean to be harsh here, but stupid retards always end up in the news over their inexperience and that affects us all.

I mean, how do you NOT see a log boom??

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldEagle View Post
    I know that the guys i ride with are EXCELLENT around these - we usually slow down or stop and plan a route around them or get direction from the tug boat, like last time coming up the Fraser from the Ocean.
    Last edited by SideFX; 07-31-2008 at 08:01 AM.

PWC
    Sadly not anymore

I've become a member of the Richmond Coast Guard Auxiliary this summer and I get to hear all the stories and such with marine activity in and around the lower mainland.
    Just because of the numbers (way more boaters then PWCers out there) stupid boat accidents are way more prevalent it seems.
    For example:
    After the fireworks last Saturday a group of 6 'younger' people in a seadoo boat hit a log boom in the Fraser going full out. They launched the boat into the log boom and came to rest perfectly in the middle of two smaller logs. A couple feet either way were massive logs and hitting them would have caused the boat to roll over. They all walked away with a couple minor cuts.
    It seems these massive log booms are major hazards out there.

But way more water is around to avoid them .)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev26 View Post
    It seems these massive log booms are major hazards out there.

you've gotta wonder what mental defect these people have who hit large, overwhelmingly hard to miss objects like a LOG BOOM.