Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWC
    2 '89' Kawasaki SX 650's

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    Q: Could it be as simple as the mixture screw settings before I tear it down?
    This is where I would start before taking the carbs apart.

Like Steve said the jets from a higher location would be larger. This would result in a rich mixture.
    I agree with Steve that it is running lean. That would be why with some choke it runs better. When the air is cooler it allows the fuel vapors to remain smaller and more condensed. This slightly changes the air fuel mixture and gets you closer to the proper mixture. I don't believe that a jetting change could be so easily affected as ambient air temperature.

I would start with factory mixture screw settings. Test and tune, test and tune... In my opinion.
    Riding an '89' is a splash from the past!

PWC
    98 SXi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by no fear here View Post
    This is where I would start before taking the carbs apart.

Like Steve said the jets from a higher location would be larger. This would result in a rich mixture.
    I agree with Steve that it is running lean. That would be why with some choke it runs better. When the air is cooler it allows the fuel vapors to remain smaller and more condensed. This slightly changes the air fuel mixture and gets you closer to the proper mixture. I don't believe that a jetting change could be so easily affected as ambient air temperature.

I would start with factory mixture screw settings. Test and tune, test and tune... In my opinion.
    Actually, if it was jetted for a higher elevation, the jets would be smaller than what is required at sea level.

Chester
    4 out of the 5 voices in my head say, pull the trigger!

Chester

PWC
    98 SXi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    This problem happened before I did the reeds, impeller, rebuild of the carbs and such. Nothing internal was done.
    I'll have to pull them out again to see what they are. Will have to wait a couple weeks or so before i can get around to it.

Q: Could it be as simple as the mixture screw settings before I tear it down?
    Are your mixture screws set to manufacturers specs? If they are, check the jets. It may have been jetted with smaller jets for a higher elevation and is now too lean for sea level.

Chester
    4 out of the 5 voices in my head say, pull the trigger!

Chester

PWC
    2 '89' Kawasaki SX 650's

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Actually, if it was jetted for a higher elevation, the jets would be smaller than what is required at sea level.

Chester
    Sorry I sit corrected. I was always under the impression that the thinner air would allow more air into the combustion chamber causing a lean condition at the higher elevations.

I studied it out last night after reading Chesters post. I am now more informed.
    Riding an '89' is a splash from the past!