Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWC
    1995 Yamaha SuperJet

Quote Originally Posted by cattledog View Post
    i use the castrol oil at wal mart been using castrol oil for over 30 years unlessyour racing you dont need the synthetic oil, just took off head in 701 with castrol oil in it at a ratio of 40 to one and the engine is mint i pay 17 dollars for 4 litres, their is a lot of myths about oil, you dont need to run the expensive stuff

Did you run this oil in the '95 SJ I bought off you? If you did, here's another testament to show that you don't need expensive synthetic oils. 14 years old and the compression in this SJ is still as good as new at 155psi per cylinder on a bone stock motor.

PWC
    '96 WR 760

Quote Originally Posted by mikeski555 View Post
    ...oil preference is like religion. Every oil (religion) other than what you practice is wrong and you're right...

I couldn't agree more. I read these threads on every engine-based forum I've ever been on (lots). People have a preference in one type of oil over another, and claim to notice a difference. Personally, I think a lot of it is a bunch of hooey. Nobody could ride two identical machines and distinguish which one is running Castrol and which one is running Motomaster. (I'm not sure if it's the same today, but I remember about 10 years ago it reading "Castrol" in small print on the back of Motomaster outboard oil labels).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeski555 View Post
    ...Remember there are only a handfull of companies that make oil, many more that market it.

Bingo. I have no idea who makes what, but there certainly isn't an oil refinery that matches every brand on the shelf. There is no "Motomaster" or "AutoLab" oil. It would be made by some other brand like Castrol, Quaker State, Exxon (or by whatever brand makes those). Just like buying "Aspirin" instead of generic ASA (acetylsalicylic acid), you're paying more, thanks to Bayer's awesome marketing team, for a 100% identical product. There's an economic term for this I can't remember right now.

Tires are the same story. I believe "Motomaster" tires are manufactured by Goodyear. There are countless products like this.

LC.

winners circle in Toronto sells Klotz oils (very good stuff)

PWC
    X2

I sell Amsoil HP. $35 for a 4 liter jug. At royal it's $47 after tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Did you run this oil in the '95 SJ I bought off you? If you did, here's another testament to show that you don't need expensive synthetic oils. 14 years old and the compression in this SJ is still as good as new at 155psi per cylinder on a bone stock motor.
    yes i did dave and made sure it was always mixed just right and dont forget guys i had two stroke motorcyles before most of you were born and castrol oil is all we used at the ractracks back then, but i think synetic oils are are real good to, but the price is high , except x 2 guys price is real good at that price even a old gut like me might switch

just use Yamalube semi synthetic, reasonably priced and good quality, otherwise you can pay and get Maxima Castor 927 from a place on bramsteele (410/steeles area) but it will cost you and for a stock engine its not worth it.