Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWC
    93 SJ

Default New to the forum and the scene.

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm totally hooked on stand ups!

A good friend of mine introduced them to me this past summer at his cottage and I've been hooked ever since.
    I'm into the car scene but this particular water sport has really got me aching for summer in more ways then my car can please! lol.

I'm looking for info on a good platform to start with. My buddy has two Yamys so he obviously suggested I start with one of those. Any particular mods I should be looking out for when buying a used ski? Any info at all would be great. I'm hoping to spend less than 3k for a decent, ready to run machine. It doesn't need to knock me on my butt, but I'd obviously like my first machine to be in good working order.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
    Chris.

PWC
    93 SJ

Maybe a few pics to get discussion going!

The Rig:

The weapons of choice:

My 3rd weekend on the ski last summer, Sept long wknd:

PWC
    701 SN SJ

I know that ski (the yellow one)...that thing is built nice...good luck on your search, will be hard to be happy on anything else after riding that thing.
    FIBRENEW SIMCOE MUSKOKA
    Amazing leather and vinyl repair!
    Marine, Automotive, Furniture, RV's, powersports, and much more!
    www.fibrenew.com/simcoe-muskoka

Fixed steer 808 Bigbore RN SJ

Internet Meter Maid
    PWC
    the superjet

welcome

PWC
    93 SJ

Quote Originally Posted by jetx View Post
    I know that ski (the yellow one)...that thing is built nice...good luck on your search, will be hard to be happy on anything else after riding that thing.
    It was pretty easy to learn on that ski, only thing it was missing was the spring for the steering column (insert correct terms). It was a bit difficult holding it up and steering, but I caught on after a few hours.

Thats funny you know the ski though. Either you tour around or it has done the touring. Where do you know it from?

PWC
    701 SN SJ

I worked at cal-jet when the boat was originally built by mark underwood. The boat eventually got sold by its original owner and eventually made its way up to timmins and was owned by a friend of mine. Who I am guessing sold it to your friend. A few changes have been made along the way I see but the paint job is the same.
    FIBRENEW SIMCOE MUSKOKA
    Amazing leather and vinyl repair!
    Marine, Automotive, Furniture, RV's, powersports, and much more!
    www.fibrenew.com/simcoe-muskoka

Fixed steer 808 Bigbore RN SJ

PWC
    93 SJ

Ha-ha, thats awesome!
    I guess it is pretty unique visually, so its easy to pick it out. Crazy to see the places its been in its lifetime though.
    Cheers.

PWC
    X2

Hey Chris...Welcome.
    For sure get yourself a 96 or newer superjet. Mods to look for would be stainless impeller, head and for sure a factory pipe. The company name is factory pipe not a stock pipe if your not familiar with them. Just look for a good clean machine and we can help you get er pimped out.

PWC
    93 SJ

^Cheers, thanks the added info. I would have assumed 'factory pipe' was OEM. Good to know! Why do you say I should go for a 96 or newer? For the engine and hull shape?
    I've been looking around in Classified ads and what not, but not having a whole lot of luck. I've searched Kijiji, autotrader.ca and a few random ads that have popped up in Google.ca.
    Any other usefull resources that you know of?

I notice you are from Barrie, I went to Georgian for Automotive Mktg program, grad 2005. I was also part of a car club up there as well. Are you into the car scene at all or just water sports?

PWC
    X2

96 and on are known as the round noses and prior are the square noses. The lower half of the hull are the same just the top deck changed in 96. The engines are also different. When the superjet first came out it had a 650 in it. Then in 94 or 95 they put in a 701 known as the 61X. In 96 they brought out the 62T 701 engine which had a better intake manifold setup. Some say the 61X cylinder has better port timing for bottom end power.
    Keep an eye out on ebay, pwctoday.com or X-h20.com. I've bought most of my skis from the states as they are hard to find here and people want a lot for them.
    I graduated from Georgian college in 98 from mechanical engineering. Worked for 10 years for a company supplying Honda with parts. I'm now working on setting up my own jetski/engine shop. I basically can do anything from custom fiberglass work and repairs to complete engine rebuilds and performance mods. Keep an eye out for my website coming soon. I'll be posting it here. I'm mainly into Bikes, skis, ATV's and sleds.