Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default 98 GS SEADOO SINKING

Have sent memo to Vice President and just got a call today from BRP. At least a acknowledgment is a good start. I will speak with them tomorrow. This issue is safety. Machine practically brand new, only used 1 week a year. There should be no safety issues with this unit and it should not sink while you are in calm water flat out. As long as we can find out why it filled up with water so fast, then that will be good enough for me. Just asking BRP to take the iniative and tell me why it happend and that it wont happen again.

Default 98 GS SEADOO SITREP

Just thought I would let everyone know what has happened. Sent memo to BRP CEO, got a call day later. Same thing, won't cover anything as its warranty has long since expired. BRP doesn't seem to care why my machine just suddenly filled with water. Anyways, they want me to bring it into dealership for a look. And I said, nope. So, my father who is a marine mechanic has since disassembled the engine to find a scorned cylinder due to water ingestion. So, we have oversized and put a new cylinder in. Water test coming up. I will take some pics to show everyone when i arrive in Ontario end June. I will also install a water alarm for inside, in case she fills again. Came to about $500.00 for parts. Thank you all for your support and I will keep you posted on how I make out with it in the water.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

For the water test, leave her tied to the trailer and back it in to the water. Check for hull leaks at the cables and such. If everything is fine, start er up and check for leaks in the cooling.

This way, you can run it at w.o.t. with the seat off and watch every hose, (and bailers) at maximum pump pressure.

Make sure seadoo is secure on the trailer and your vehicle parking brake is on.

Also, make sure engine comes up to temp since cold-seizures are a real possiblity this early in the season when the water is still quite cold.

i feel for you, but why $500 for a 'water alarm' spend $30 and put a bilge in there. done it on all my skiis and is good piece of mind. run it all the time or put an automatic float in there.

you best bet is to become an informed rider. inspect your machine and test it as jetr mentioned.

i always check my ski for water once i put it in and again after a short ride just to be sure everything is ok. it only take a second to lift the seat and check.

good luck.

Do not all modern day sit downs have an automatic bilge pump.
    That is supposed to pump out any water and stop this from happening.
    I thought they did, and am now unsure.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

Nope. The auto bilge pumps are about $100 ,and the simpler "on/off" ones are about $30 but require a switch.

You can run a cheaper one with a float somewhere but the cost winds up being pretty much the same.

Gabe

Default GS SEADOO BACK ON WATER

Just wanted to report that my 98 GS SEADOO is back on the water and running beautiful. No signs of water entry from anywhere and auto bilge pump that I installed between fuel tank and engine is a great piece of mind. I had to bore out stock engine after damage to one cylinder from water and replaced both pistons. More power and more importantly back on water. I have come up with the conclusion that the only way for water entry into engine compartment was from rough water riding. On my seadoo, air intakes are part of seat and you have one on each side of seat facing front. In rough water, high possibly for water to enter air scoops and flow into bilge. Newer seadoo models no longer have this air intake design. BRP did not mention at all and will probably never acknowledge the design flaw. So for around & $700.00 I was able to get back on the water. Watch out for those intakes and best advise I can give you is go ahead and spend $60.00 on a auto bilge for a piece of mind and install water outtake hole where you can see it while running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1725_109.jpg