Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

pics of the shaft and the bearing are in my gallery now. sorry about the poor focus. i was holding the camera far too close trying to get better detail, and it backfired. i'll take a pic of the remnants of the bearing and post that shortly. corroded isn't the word!

most excellent! i went to a local bearing shop today as a last resort deal, and they have everything i need. even having the needle bearing air freighted in, its still costing me $25 for seals and bearing. GOLD jerry, GOLD!

we have to be creative with the double seal, but, creative is my middle name.

PWC
    Superjet

Those pixs you posted HERE look nasty.

And remember to GREASE the new stuff regularly.

Good work though, you just saved a ton of $$$

i thorougly cleaned out the grease nipple so that grease will flow easily. the design is pretty odd though. the fitting's hole basically is closed up by the single seal. not sure just how grease can get into the bearing from there. i guess the seal shouldn't be pushed in so deep.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

When you push the bearing on do it from the back. If you press it in from the front it'll cover the hole.

The last two digits on the serial # indicate the year of your machine.

thanks for the hint jet. i would assume the bearing should sit flush with the back lip of the carrier then. and the seals should sit flush with the outside edges, which would allow more grease to flow freely.

also, by what you are saying for the serial number, i have a 92.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

good work.

save that old shaft just in case... I know first impulse is to sell on Ebay but replacement cost always seems to be higher than what you always sell for.

nope, i wouldn't sell it off until i sell the 'doo. i am kinda funny that way. i rather have my own parts bin.

did some more research.. and talked to some dealers.. and my OEM parts are in stock waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. i did spend the day on the phone tracking them down though. NTN and SKF bearings could not come up with a suitable substitute today, so i went looking some more. had i dug further into dealers locally, i would have had the thing back in the water 2 weeks ago.

a big thanks to ski and trail in aldergrove bc! had everything i needed, and then some, in stock for me to purchase. bearing, seals, boot, bumper plug, and extra special pump oil!

now to assemble and pray thats the only problem!

assembly is 99% complete. yeah, would have been an hour or so, but work keeps getting in the way.

everything is back together. i just need to hook up some hoses in the hull, and finish the degreasing. then run it with the fake lake for a test.

the water levels on hatsec lake are getting low, so we are doing a full on weekend before it dries up