Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWC
    Superjet

It should be a great weekend at the lake

all systems are go at throttle up! hopefully i will get some pics this weekend too.

well, that lasted a day. killed it again. electrics for sure this time. i think the solenoid fried. but when we put a new one in, stranger things started to happen. what local dealer would have a 92 manual and/or a wiring diagram? need to make sure things are ok. or...

do you need the exact solenoid as replacement, or will anything work?

btw, the drive shaft performed flawlessly. we had a riot on it until we shut down on the lake to chat for a bit. it wouldn't start. not even turn over. no starter clicks even. wind actually blew us in. so, we started testing the obvious. the starter button was getting hot when pressed. no clicks no nothing. we took the solenoid out, which would spark when placed directly on 12 v, either direction. when we put the new one in, the relays would click, then chatter. we actually had the starter cranking with no starter button pressed.

please tell me my mpem is ok. i don't feel like replacing it. i much rather have it be a $14 solenoid.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

If you jumped the solenoid and the engine cranked then take a test light and check to see if the solenoid is getting power when you press the start button.

If it's getting a signal - then the relay is faulty.

If there's no signal - then the problem is obviously somewhere else.

If the solenoid is new, and all it does it click (chatter) maybe your battery is dead. Sometimes it'll click but won't have enough juice to keep the solenoid plunger engaged.

You might have a charging problem which caused the batt to go dead.

solenoid has power on either side of it unfortunately. yellow/red wire from the black box. that led us to believe the solenoid was fried. when we put the new one in, the two relays on the black box would chatter, and the starter would operate regardless of a starter button being pressed or not. when we first opened things up, the 15A inline fuse on the red/white lead was popped. it hasn't popped since. we tried the solenoid out of circuit, and all it would do was spark violently when 12v was applied. that again leads us to believe the solenoid is caput. the new solenoid, although not a drop in replacement, clicked when it had 12v on it.

i had the battery freshly charged the nite before, but i have not checked it over again. there was plenty of charge in it to run the bilge, and turn the starter over when we jumped the solenoid, so i don't think its the problem. we checked the starter button wires for shorts or opens, same with the stop button and the lanyard. all tested ok. only really 3 things it could be from there. regulator, solenoid (still), or the black box.

the dealer has 4 solenoids in stock, so if it turns out that everything else is ok, i will bite the bullet and put the proper one back in. the one we got from canadian tire was marked starter and ignition on the control side. i don't think that poses a problem, but who knows. safer to have the OEM part anyways. sea doo shop manual is on order as well.

i just hope its not the black box. that lists at about $350 US to replace.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

I'm trying to remember... but I dont think the mpem has anything to do with the starting on a 92.

You'll have a separate button for starting and stopping, so the mpem isn't required to figure out what is needed.

Also the rectifier isn't really concerned with the starting system. If it were faulty you would either get an overchaged battery, undercharged battery, or no spark.

You either have a short somewhere, an incorrectly wired solenoid, or a starter problem.

The solenoid kit you'll get from Seadoo will be an update to your original and you'll have to cut some wires and add some terminals - no biggie.

we traced things out as best we could with no wiring diagram, and we got the tether, stop, and buzzer all tied together somehow. the start was separate, but still dependant on the others to function. since both relays plugged into the mpem are the same, and both working (we swapped and checked, and tested coils to 12v), its my feeling the mpem is ok. since the starter will crank over when we jump the solenoid, that wiring would seem to be ok too.

we were also thinking short. but need wiring diagram to trace things out better. anyone got one in pdf so i can start, while waiting for the manual?

just what does that buzzer do? and what does mpem stand for anyways?

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

buzzer just beeps if temp sensor is grounded - to signal that engine is too hot.

MPEM - Multi Purpose Electronic Module

What you can do is make one lead that goes to the start switch hot. That is, give it 12V from somewhere inside the box. The other lead should go to a small terminal on the solenoid. I'm pretty sure it'll be yellow with a red tracer. The solenoid will get a ground from the mount or from another wire inside the box. So when you press the button you'll activate the solenoid.

That will make the starter crank whether the tether is on or not. The tether will be required for the ignition system to work. And the stop button will kill the ignition like normal.

Only problem will be that if you push the start button by accident and the engine is already running - it'll still try to engage the bendix and might cause damage to the starter/flywheel. Just have to be careful, thats all.

we pretty much tried that already. created a parallel start circuit. no go. the solenoid was tested out of circuit and sparked when placed across 12v. no clicking at all. the solenoid had 12v across both control terminals in circuit as well. the yellow/red is supposed to be the hot from the mpem. the start button was getting very hot.

PWC
    '98 Challenger 1800 Wake

if stuff was sparking and the switch was getting hot then there's short.