Default Importing a car/truck from the US...

anyone here done it before? Should i use a broker? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks guys

PWC
    2006 Seadoo GTX SC

I would think that a broker would be the easier way with a fee of course, but otherwise, try:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...or_vehicle.xml

Good luck and keep us posted!
    TheBaldEagle
    aka Aaron

2006 Seadoo GTX SC
    2006 Honda Rubicon Canadian Trail Edition

PWC
    Polaris

Default Use the APA

I am chiming in a little late but here is what you should do if you want to bring a car in from the U.S.

If you have an Automobile Protection Association branch near you they will direct you to a dealer who will get your car imported for you.

Use the APA for any auto purchasing stuff. $60 - its a great deal.

When we were shopping for a new Toyota Sienna van the list price in Can was $36k and about $24k in the U.S. The dollar was even so it made no sense. The APA had a dealer who was going to bring one in for us - all fees paid for $28k.

You have to be mindful of warranties and there are some things have to be done for Canadian roads. (There was an issue with a theft deterrent device) but the APA will make sure all that is looked after. Some car warranties aren't honored once the border is crossed. Toyota was okay.

If you are buying new - use the APA and get a price from them. They will give you a breakdown and you will pay $500 - $1000 over dealer cost - they will work with certain dealers as well. Even if you don't use their dealer you can bring your "price" to your local dealer who will match it - no ridiculous haggling. A great deal for $60.
    They will direct you to used car dealers as well and auto repair shops that are honest. They run blitzs sometimes and expose the dishonest shops.
    (I sound like I work for them but I don't) They are just a great organization.

james

rollmagain

I have imported many vehicles from the USA as I live in Windsor its pretty convenient. Go to Gov Canada website under RIV (registrar of imported vehicles) and follow the process. Pretty easy actually. Just be careful on what type of vehicle you are importing as some require extensive modifications to pass the Canadian standards. Check with the manufacturer on the US side and Canadian to find out what needs to be done before buying. If you need detail after reviewing whats availabale let me know.