Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWC
    2007 Seadoo RXT

Default OIL for 215Hp SCIC Engines

I have a an 07 RXT. The dealer here just sold me fully synth oil for it, which I undertand is not the best choice for the SC clutch washers which are ceramic and have disintegration problems, hastened by slipping, which is hastened by synth oil.

I was happily buying the recommended Sea Doo oil (which used to be Mineral Oil - but now they don't sell it) paying nearly $50, and now find they want $67.50 a jug for it, and it's synthetic. Gimme a break please.

We all know Bombardier does not make oil, so, there has to be a decent suitable, reasonably priced oil out there without needing to become a Bombardier hostage.

Any recommendations or experiences with other oils ?

PWC
    KAWI X2, GP1200

Use Castrol GTX 10w40 mineral oil. It meets BRP specs.

PWC
    98' SXI

Castrol 10w40 is not an approved oil by BRP and thats right from the BRP tech dept. Also oil is one of the most important things in an engine, I know $70 is alot for oil but really how much will you save using Castrol??? $20-30 per year....? I'd spend the extra $$ and put the right/better product in it. Just my 2 cents....

PWC
    2008 RXP

Replace thoughs washers ASAP... Riva makes metal ones that are 100x better. New 08 OEM washers are metal. I have an 08 rxp but im still upgrading to the riva washers as they have a low failure rate. with the ceramic washers your almost guaranteed a washer failure.

PWC
    X2

Been working with my amsoil guy to find a suitable oil. I'll let you know what he finds out.
    I can get you the washers if you need and I weould surely change them. When they break they make a mess. No need to go to the us and have to pay more shipping, Tax and brokerage fees.

PWC
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by CJSXR800 View Post
    Castrol 10w40 is not an approved oil by BRP and thats right from the BRP tech dept. ....
    Why would they promote anyone elses oil. You know what BRP is making from it?

PWC
    2008 RXP

Quote Originally Posted by X2guy View Post
    Been working with my amsoil guy to find a suitable oil. I'll let you know what he finds out.
    I can get you the washers if you need and I weould surely change them. When they break they make a mess. No need to go to the us and have to pay more shipping, Tax and brokerage fees.
    Amsoil make a seadoo approved oil http://www.smartsynthetics.com/pdf/T...WC_5-17-07.pdf

Why would they promote anyone elses oil. You know what BRP is making from it?
    Castrol makes brp's oil
    Last edited by RXPSpeed; 11-25-2009 at 06:39 PM.

PWC
    X2

BRP will not approve any oil that is not their own. After the warranty period what does it matter???? as long as it does what the BRP oil does.

PWC
    2008 RXP

BRP will not approve any oil that is not their own. After the warranty period what does it matter???? as long as it does what the BRP oil does.
    IMO with metal washer upgrade you should run a full synthetic oil. amsoil will not affect the slip on the washer. When seadoo first introduced the 4-tec motor it called for a full synthetic oil ( my sportster 150 155hp 4-tec motor calls for full synthetic) reason the supercharged engine calls for mineral oil is most syn oils have friction modifiers and cause excess slip on the ceramic washers witch lead to more wear and then a failure. I know for a fact the amsoil meets the same spec as the brp full syn oil as i use the ams in all my seadoos.

PWC
    KAWI X2, GP1200

SEA-DOO owners manual states to use BRP oil OR 4-stroke, 10w40 motor oil with a API service classification of SM,SL or SJ. Read the label, I'm sure castrol GTX (and others) meets these specs.