Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Safety equipment in Ontario (what if its a stand up or old ski?)

First off I have everything and keep it with me all the time...

BUT since my ski is built long before all the rules came into place, like stand ups I have limited space for all these extra items.

I was pulled over two years ago on the lake, no big deal, but they asked a friend of mine for his safety stuff, he was on his stand up and we both asked them if they are joking. Then they started to give us a hard time and I pointed out that because these new laws where added after the production date of his ski he was not required to abide by them, as his ski is grandfathered, they just basically dropped the subject and checked out boating licenses.

As far as I know my ski complies will all laws of the year it was built according to the coast guards laws, as it states on the sticker on the hull, not sure if this is all of them but it has to have a fire extinguisher and kill switch and I think that's it.

What is actually required for a ski built before they changed the law?

Note: I don't want opinions here so please don't comment unless you can reference something.

Default Just curious...

Why would you not want to have proper safety equipment on board. Is it not wise to ensure the safety of the rider be it you or someone else. Using your logic...I hope that you will be "ok" should something happen to someone close to you if they did not have the required safety equipment on board based on the "manufacture" date of their vessel.

Just a thought...and I know you didn't want an opinion...but I'm worry about you!
    Last edited by oceanview; 05-18-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
    Why would you not want to have the proper safety equipment on board. Is it not wise to ensure the safety of the rider be it you or someone else. Using your logic...I hope that you will be ok should something happen to someone close to you if they did not have the required safety equipment on board based on the "manufacture" date.

Just a thought...
    Like I said I'm not looking for OPINIONS!!! FACT only...

And as I stated in my first sentence I carry everything please read next time...

So if that is your opinion great but what does someone with a stand up do? Where do they carry their through rope, flashlight, fire extinguisher etc.??

I personally have a paddle as well but in reality I will never use it as I'm never more than 400m off shore. But I would never use just ONE paddle unless I want to go in circles, if my ski breaks down, I would swim it back or flag someone down to tow me. The bailer is a joke or ALL PWC. You can't bail a pwc.

So again what is the actually law for older PWC that where built pre 1999 or when ever that law came out for all boats to carry a bailer, flash light and through rope.

PWC
    The Superjet

I carry all the safety gear Im supposed too (on my stand up) for the record you dont need a fire ext if your wearing a life jacket (in Canada only)

To the original poster...If you want facts go to a goverment website and look it up for yourself, if not your gonna get peoples opinions! It is the internet, Oceanview was just trying to help! it doesnt matter what year your boat/ski is rules are rules! There's your facts!
    Blackjack/Jetworks-Gord Bush performance-Hatefactory freeride FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Yamaha View Post
    I carry all the safety gear Im supposed too (on my stand up) for the record you dont need a fire ext if your wearing a life jacket (in Canada only)

To the original poster...If you want facts go to a goverment website and look it up for yourself, if not your gonna get peoples opinions! It is the internet, Oceanview was just trying to help! it doesnt matter what year your boat/ski is rules are rules! There's your facts!
    Agree that was slilly of me not to look it up I guess the first search I did came up with nothing so I asked, here is the fast and I'm sure your stand up like two of my friends does not have all the "required" equipment.

The fact do not discuss what happens when you have a pwc that do not have storage for these items and if they are except. I have two friends with Superjets and Blaster and there is no room for anything on them and in my GSX I have to store stuff on top of the gas tank. I would love to know where you can store your bailer and manual propulsion device on a blaster.

http://www.trentsevern.com/downloads...watercraft.pdf

Personal protection equipment

1. one Canadian-approved personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board

2. one buoyant heaving line of not less than 15 m in length Distress equipment

3. a watertight flashlight
    OR
    3 Canadian approved flares of Type A, B or C Navigation equipment

4. a sound-signalling device or a sound-signalling appliance Boat safety equipment

5. one manual propelling device
    OR
    an anchor with not less than 15 m of cable, rope or chain in any combination

6. one bailer or one manual water pump fitted with or accompanied by sufficient hose to enable a person using the pump to pump water from the bilge of the vessel over the side
    of the vessel

7. one Class 5BC fire extinguisher This equipment, (5, 6, 7) is not mandatory if all people on the PWC are wearing a Canadian-approved personal flotation device of appropriate size.

PWC
    The Superjet

In all honesty I own both a SJ and Blaster as my primary skis. I have everything listed on board my ski except for a paddle and a manual bilge. I also carry my PWC operators card and proof of ownership with me as well.
    Blackjack/Jetworks-Gord Bush performance-Hatefactory freeride FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Yamaha View Post
    In all honesty I own both a SJ and Blaster as my primary skis. I have everything listed on board my ski except for a paddle and a manual bilge. I also carry my PWC operators card and proof of ownership with me as well.

ok so this is what I'm wondering since you are operating illegally like most stand ups are, and everyone I know that has a stand up or blaster will you be charged?

According to what is expected of us under the current law yes but what I'm asking is since the skis where not made to carry this equipment how does that work, do you get charged or will they charge you? and can you use the grandfather defense?

ps as soon as I have kids or get another dog I'm going to have to get a jet boat and I'm going to get either a blaster or a stand up, I'm thinking blaster with the twin carbs.

PWC
    SN 701

Been pulled over many times as long as you have a wissle on your life jacket, rope, flash light operater card, and ownership you'll be fine. I'v had one ticket for not having the wissle but honestly i was, it happened to break off during the ride!!

PWC
    1995 Seadoo HX

PWC
    98 Superjet

You actually don't need the paddle, bailer, or extinguisher on a PWC as long as you are wearing the life jacket. It's written somewhere as an exception. Everything listed in post #5 is needed if you have the PFD on board, but are not wearing it. If you are wearing it at all times those three items are not needed. I found this rule last summer and called the government to confirm it. Otherwise, everything in post #5 is correct.

I keep my rope, whistle, flashlight, license and title in a compartment I made. I took a 3" PVC pipe and cut it to around a foot long, bought two PVC caps to cap off both ends, and attached it to the inside of my hood. If i'm riding somewhere that all the extra safety equipment is needed, that compartment fits an extinguisher perfectly, and I put everything else in the orange buckets you buy for boats and jam it wherever it fits in the hull.