Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skookumchuck

PWC
    1990 550sx and 2006 800sxr

Default Skookumchuck

Does anyone ever ride the Skookumchuck narrows? It looks fun, but could also be deadly!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2dNr7EVyk

PWC
    Superjet

Quote Originally Posted by r_jacksontrucks View Post
    It looks fun, but could also be deadly!
    Ive seen couple people ride there but no thanks

PWC

Any pics? Stand ups or couches? I want to take my SXR in there, but start off when the tide isn't running so hard. I saw that one in the surfing video supporting the guy, but I want to do some big air off the standing wave.

PWC
    Superjet

bigger waves and whirlpools are further downstream so if you stall or fall off...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st414skookumchuck05.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	1257
    There is some really good footage of us nearly losing him off the back into huge wave and we just pull out in time. It really gets into whitewater down below. It looks like it it's all hazy but it's just that the water gets so whipped up, it's like Niagara Falls with that mist hanging above the water
    Check out http://www.coastalbc.com/surf/st414skookumchuck.htm

PWC

I know the area well, I've been through it in various boats many times. It's not a matter of if I do it, it's when. I think I would start out at slack tide and play in there until it gets too big. Not going to go at it on the middle of a 16 foot tide change, at least not right off the bat! I just need a change from the lake every day. Something to get the adrenaline flowing a little more, but I don't want to lose my life or my machine. That was a great link by the way!! That takes some big balls to surf in there, and that was a big tide.

PWC

Did it!!! Scary, but what a rush!

PWC
    Superjet

Quote Originally Posted by r_jacksontrucks View Post
    Did it!!! Scary, but what a rush!
    Its scary in a boat never mind a pwc. Did you take any pictures or video

PWC

Jetlag, I am lauging pretty hard. I was all alone, so I just pictured myself riding in there, scared half $hitless, trying to take my own picture while riding sideways in a 12 knot current, dodging kelp and driftwood! Maybe next time I'll try to get a friend to come alond with a boat and see if he could get some pics or a video. Chester says there is a video out there called Coastal Rage Jet Addiction with some stand up riding in there. I can't find it, but would love to see it. I hope to go back when the current isn't quite as strong and I think I'll try the waves out.

I've had several scary trips through there. The first time I went through I was maybe 8 years old and we were in my Uncles log salvage boat. It was a fast ebb and we really got thrown around. Then when I was 20 we were coming home from a month long commercial fishing trip and the boat came very close to capsizing. Then there was the time I was coming back from a Coast gaurd call on a pitch black night in the 733 hurricane. I came within 100 feet of one of the Islands. I cranked it over hard and took a look behind me to see the radar guy had his head down and was asleep on the console. It was ebbing pretty good and we were running with the current. We were very close to running aground that night.
    Last edited by r_jacksontrucks; 06-26-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: more info

PWC

Anyone want to come ride this with me before the summer is over?

PWC

2011 Who's in for a ride in this area? It's a blast, but more jet skis makes it a safer experience.