Thread: carb help

PWC
    js550

Default carb help

i have a 1987 js550 jet ski. the "pilot screw" on my carb is not a screw. it is just a plug and doesnt look adjustable. does anyone know what up with that?

PWC
    KAWI X2, GP1200

the 1987 js550 should have a mikuni 'round body' 44MM carb. these carbs had a plastic cap on 2 of the mixture screws(low and pilot), limiting adjustment to a 1/4 turn. IF the carb hasn't been replaced over the years, then pry-off the plastic caps and enjoy full adjustability of the mixture screws.

PWC
    js550

Default carb trouble

i do not have a pilot screw on my carb, there looks like theres a spot for it but its just not there. looks like it never had one. i believe its the 38mm carb round body.

"new issue"
    i rebuilt it and it doesnt start. it didnt really run well all the time before ethier. it doesnt looke like its pumping the fuel. could anyone help me with this problem of not starting now? or what is a good replacement carb for besides Mikuni carbs.

mikuni carbs are one of the most reliable out there

what symptoms are you getting?

do you have a primer?

if not drop some gas down the carb or into the cylinders, just a little. when you start the ski if you dont have a choke put your hand over the carb to create a vacuum.

also check that the one way check valve on the gas tank breather is working, this is a common issue too.

when you rebuild the carb did you use genuine mikuni rebuild kit?

there is normally a small filter inside the carb make sure this is clean
    www.canadian-freestyle.com
    Look for us on facebook - Canadian Freestyle
    stocking Authorised Airtime products, Hot Products, Powerfactor products, Gecko head gear, swift lift, jet lift totes/carts & Hydroturf dealer and also
    RAGE composites - BRAWLER HULL

PWC
    KAWI X2, GP1200

I agree with UK-Steve, Mikuni are decent carbs. I'd re-do the carb -- maybe you 'flipped' a gasket or diaphram and inspect the entire fuel system. (tank, lines, vents etc) if you have a 38mm carb(measure the carb throat below the throttle plate) then use the carb specs from a older JS550 (1982/83)

PWC
    lots of superjets, a 800sxr,some wave blasters, a waveblaster 2, a 650 sx, some 550s

Are sure the fuel lines are connected properly?

PWC
    X2

The 87 550 cane with a 44BN carb and should have 3 adjustment screws. Maybe you have a different carb on there now. The 44 has 4 bolt holes on top and the 34 has 3 to hold the flame arrestor on. Check the pulse line is hooked up correctly and that your intake and return lines are correctas well. If these are correct then you might have made a mistake when rebuilding the pump.

PWC
    js550

thanks everyone, i am going to take a look at it all over again. if i do not find a problem, i am going to go ahead and take the carb apart again....... i did put a primer on it and it starts with it then just dies. also i did use the mikuni rebuild kit. I still dont know why my carb doesn't have a idle set screw. only high and low jet screws but i think i shouldn't worry about it