Hello! New to the site and this is my first post. I'm looking for my first jetski and am doing all my due diligence as far as what is legally required when I purchase. (Also maybe some tips on what I should be looking for)

I'm sure that there is probably a thread about this somewhere else so if so please just redirect, as I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Just a couple questions about specifics:
1. At the time of sale, I'll get a bill of sale, the ownership and then afterwards submit the application for pleasure craft transfer correct? And is there anything that has to be done on the prior owner's end?

2. Virtually the same thing with the trailer I think except I have to deal with transport canada, and get an application for transfer of the plates as well (or is it easier to have my own?) I wanna be covered from the place I tow the trailer, all the way home, especially if its a long distance. Is there a temporary insurance for this or am I basically rolling the dice until I can get to MTO. I emailed my insurer and am waiting for a response.

3. I have very little experience when I comes to buying a used jetski (read: NONE) so if anyone could provide a basic inspection, point by point (or a redirect, because I know there may be a link I can't find) I would really appreciate it.
From what I've been told there should be 3 VINs that should match to ensure the engine hasnt been changed out (dunno how true this is). Common sense dictates that I look for scrapes or obvious dings as well as hairline cracks in the hull. Same goes for impeller. It shouldn't look like there's fiberglass patchwork thats been done (Please tell me if I'm way off), and ask for service records, storage receipts, etc.

Also, should I ask for a test drive in water? Can it be dry started and is there any advantage to this other than ensuring it starts? (obviously) I'm going to see the thing running before any money changes hands, but can this be done on land? Can it be revved? Is it only if a neutral is available on the machine?

4. Finally, when it comes down to price I'm looking to spend in between $6000-8000. I'm not under the impression that I'm going to get a top of the line machine that's a 2011-12 at this price. However, what should I be able to expect as far as power, year model, quality/reliability, time on the machine, etc. I just want to be able to weed out any sellers who are asking too much, or offers which are obviously too good to be true.

I've read through some of the threads and everyone seems really helpful, so please forgive my boldness in asking for all the help. I'm excited to get the ball rolling and find something suitable, as I believe owning a machine myself will be a (hopefully) very rewarding experience.

Cheers all!