PWC
    2004 SJ, 89 JS550 For Sale

Default 2003 Yamaha Superjet Starting Issues

Hey guys,

I'm about to take my Superjet out of storage and try to fix an issue I was having last year.
    Basically when I hit the start button I only hear the relay click... Starter does not turn or engage or anything.
    Battery is brand new and charged.

At first I thought it was the starter, but if I connect my battery charger, and turn it to the 'boost' setting. The motor cranks and starts no problem.

So.. I'm kinda stumped.

Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PWC
    The Superjet

Sounds like your starter relay? Hopefully that's all it is, its a cheap and easy fix.
    Blackjack/Jetworks-Gord Bush performance-Hatefactory freeride FTW

PWC
    Sea Doo GTS, Yamaha Superjet

After almost 20 years of totally issue free enjoyment, although very little use (a couple times a year), I've developed the exact symptom described here. Not a peep from the starter or relay on a charged battery. Some clicking noise with charger attached. Engine starts immediately without me pressing the switch when I switch charger to boost mode. According to the only response on here and an identical post on PWC Today but without any positive results, it may be my relay switch. Can someone confirm whether it's the relay and not something else? Can a faulty relay actually not function until a higher boosting voltage is applied and somehow bypasses the start switch altogether? It doesn't make any sense to me that a faulty component downline can by pass the start switch. I suspect it must have something to do with the switch being stuck on but then why wouldn't the starter turn over as soon as I connect a freshly charged battery.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by chasvo; 07-31-2016 at 05:36 PM.

PWC
    Sea Doo GTS, Yamaha Superjet

Looked but cannot locate any grounding wire to check. Tried Googling and looking at service manual but other than know what should be grounded from the schematic diagram, I still acnnot physically see it. I also discovered that although the battery was purchased last year and put on trickle charge over the winter, it is defective. So I purchased a new one and just tried to install hoping it would solve the problem but the minute I try to connect the negative ground wire, the engine wants to turn over. Will take the start-stop switch assembly off to check if it's stuck on next.