Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1994 seadoo xp sunk :(

My machine sunk today

I went to the lake today and dropped the machine in the water. I go to start it up and down i go with the machine..lol..I had forgot that awhile back a rubber peace around the shaft (looks like a rad hose) had a tear in it...So anyways after hour or so trying to recover the machine i got it back...

Now my question is that rubber hose with 2 clamps holding it on the shaft wasn't what made me sink right? There another seal running between the hull and the shaft...which is more durable plastic...i have pictures of the peace thats still on the shaft the (rad hose) just blew off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1444_125.jpg  

more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1448_195.jpg  

I can't figure out how to get the shaft away from the engine. There's a big plastic peace.

picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1446_small_125.jpg  

LOOKS LIKE YER GONNA HAVE TA PULL YER PUMP,REMOVE THE D. SHAFT,
    GET NEW SEALS ,AND SLAP 'ER BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'D ALSO LOOK INTO YOUR PUMP SHAFT AND SEALS, (BEARINGS ), WHILE YOU HAVE IT APART.
    DO IT ALL NOW OR YOU'LL BE DOING IT AGAIN AND MORE LATER
    YA DON'T WANT TA LOSE ANOTHER WEEKEND

J.BRATTTT
    "HEHEHE"
    DRANK HALF
    THE LAKE
    THAT TIME
    J.BR@TTTT

take a look in my gallery for my pics of the exact same problem. you will have to remove the pump from the rear, and pull the shaft as brat says.

you will probably have to replace everything but the carrier (the leftmost item on the shaft. i did. you have to press out and press back in bearing sets, and seals. mine had a double seal on one side, and a single on the other side of the bearing.

after it is all assembled, be sure to grease the carrier. not a ton, as the pressure will pop the seals. just enough that water pressure will not push in. grease the carrier regularly.

the pump will come off after the 4 transom bolts/nuts are done, and the steering bolt. you can take the rest out in one piece. you should check your pump oil while you are at it. it's the oil that sits in the cone on the impeller. must be replaced with sea doo pump oil!

all in for my repair i did $90.

you do not need seadoo pump oil for the pump. any synthetic 75w90 gear oil will work.

I checked out you're gallery. I kinda get the idea. So after you pull the 4 bolt on the back of the machine and steering...how do you get that big plastic peace off? Also does the shaft come out of the motor easy or do you have to yand the shit out of it?

this peace how do you get it off?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaft_small_766.jpeg  

the thing with "this!" marked on top of it is your flywheel. it is part of the engine. do not touch. the end of the drive shaft just sits in splines inside the flywheel. right below the grease nipple for the flywheel are the clamps that hold a grease seal. remove those. you've already taken care of the carrier seal by virtue of destroying it

once you take your impeller assembly off (i did mine in 2 parts, you can take it off in 1), the drive shaft simply slides out. on either end of the shaft will be a rubber bumper. save those if they are in decent shape. if not, replace them too.

once you have the shaft out, you can take the seal carrier and tap out the seals and bearings. just be careful not to score the insides (i used a hammer and a screwdriver to remove what was left of mine). i tapped my new parts in using a hammer and a 2X4.

seadoo parts for the repair cost me about $90. parts from a bearing shop would have cost me about $15, but we couldn't get the double seal exactly right, so i went with OEM.