Default 97 XP Won't Start!

Hey guys, hoping someone might have some advice.

I was out at Cultus Lake on Sunday and was having trouble getting my 97 XP started. I primed the choke, pushed the starter and gave it gas, but no go, just kept turning over but wouldn't 'catch'. Eventually it did, and I rode fine. It performed normally on the water. After a while I came back in to let some mates have a try and this time we couldn't get it to start at all. I just made a 'thunk' noise when I tried to start it.

I figured that somehow there might be some water in the engine, so I pulled out the spark plugs and hit the starter. There wwas defintely water in there and after about a minute it seemed to clear all out. (this was a minute of holding down the starter button since it would not 'catch'). I went out and bought new spark plugs, dropped them in, crossed my fingers and tried to start it. Still no luck. It was back to just turning over but not 'catching' .

NOt sure if this is related but it looks like a brand new exhaust manifold I had installed a month ago was broken (melted?!). was like that for about 2 weeks though and still seemed to run fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Pete

Pete, I always bring starter fluid just in case. It's always a sure bet to fire things up.

Default Starter fluid?

Hey there,

I'm having a similar problem.
    Checked with my local sea-doo dealer and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about with starter fluid - would it be called something else? Would it be at Cdn Tire, for example?

Thanks - only a few weekends left!

Default Re: Starter fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    Hey there,

I'm having a similar problem.
    Checked with my local sea-doo dealer and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about with starter fluid - would it be called something else? Would it be at Cdn Tire, for example?

Thanks - only a few weekends left!
    Hi Tricky, didn't notice this in my e-mail till now. Sorry, wasn't being rude in any way.

Starting fluid from Crappy Tire, Yes!! Ether, if that's how it is spelled.
    Good for blasting the water out of plugs also in case of emergency.
    And if the plugs have a spark and no water in the cylinders, this is sure to turn over the engine.

Cheers!!
    Peter .)

Default Ether / Starting fluid use

Thanks for the reply! Wish I'd known about this before heading out for more fruitless engine turning-over this weekend. But really appreciate you getting back to me!
    I think we got some bad gas in the Sea-Doo a couple of weeks ago - have since drained the tank and put in fresh stuff, and then been trying to get the remains of water (from condensation in the bad gas, I think) out by cycling it through with / without spark plugs in, drying the plugs, emptying the fuel filter about 4 times and putting in "water eater" - a couple of containers. Finally had a breakthrough on the fuel filter at least, the first time I tried dumping the fuel sitting it on the (burning) fire pit, it put the fire out! Time #4 was the first time that it actually ignited on the fire.
    So ... any tips on where you'd put the starting fluid / ether? Ie. would you just pour it into the main tank? Pour it into the block? How much would you use?

Thanks tons!

Tricky

Default Re: Ether / Starting fluid use

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    Ie. would you just pour it into the main tank? Pour it into the block? How much would you use?
    You can get it in the marine section I believe at CT. It comes with a little red hose just like WD40 does.
    Pull the spark plus and zap the cylinder for two seconds. Pop the plugs in right away to prevent evaporation.
    You can also try spraying into the carb throat if exposed, yet pulling plugs is fastest.

Re: The water, have you checked the water separator lately? (Fuel filter)
    I recall having an issue once where water got in the gas tank. It will also be sitting in the separator. Just be careful not to loose the 'O' ring seal. If you do (as I did one time) a marine store will have them.

Let me know if you find anything.

Peter

** Oh, and be careful the hose doesn't fall off the nozzle and into the cylinder.
    You actually don't need to use it. I always spray w/o.

Thanks! Will try it this weekend!