Thread: vhf radio

PWC
    1996 gti

Default vhf radio

Does any one carry a vhf radio when riding the great lakes what radio do you use and how well does it work for distance thank you for your replies

PWC
    Honda F-12X

Default Me too

I have been thinking about this also, as I'm pretty sure my cell won't work below the steep sand edge of Lake Erie. I have been thinking of the hand held units that are rated up to 5 watts, but not sure of their range or capabilities. I have a friend that has one, but he has never used it. Anyone have experience with these walkie talkie style VHF?

PWC
    1996 gti

I ride alone and cruse the shore line never thatfar from shore but if I ever have engine problems I think it would be a goodidea to have a radio to get help but what radio would be best

PWC
    Honda F-12X

Default Ordered one

Okay, since no one has input, I ordered a MIDLAND NT1VP NAUTICO-1 today. It is the only handheld 5 watt transmit I could find at a reasonable price, about $65. I looked at a couple of cheaper ones, but they were only 3 watt. I will try to use it and report my results.

PWC
    94 blaster

Quote Originally Posted by 3illmesmart View Post
    Okay, since no one has input, I ordered a MIDLAND NT1VP NAUTICO-1 today. It is the only handheld 5 watt transmit I could find at a reasonable price, about $65. I looked at a couple of cheaper ones, but they were only 3 watt. I will try to use it and report my results.
    i don't know a lot about the vhf radio, i have a mounted one in my boat, that works for miles. so far the farthest Ive checked has been about 30 miles or so, from inland to the ocean too.
    the 5 watt is pretty far, and the range should be plenty enough to call someone for help, though i hope you never need it. read up on how to properly operate it, not just the owners manual. certain channels are monitored by the coast guard and other authorites, so they can be reached asap.