Default team discovers gene that turns cancers off

A unique gene that can stop cancerous cells from multiplying into tumours has been discovered by a team of scientists at the B.C. Cancer Agency in Vancouver.

The team, led by Dr. Poul Sorensen, says the gene has the power to suppress the growth of human tumours in multiple cancers, including breast, lung and liver.

The gene, HACE 1, helps cells fight off stress that, left unchecked, opens the door to formation of multiple tumours.

Dr. Sorensen's team found cancerous cells form tumours when HACE 1 is inactive, but when additional stress such as radiation is added, tumour growth is rampant.

Kick-starting HACE 1 prevented those cells from forming tumours.

The study appears in the advance online publication of Nature Medicine.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ienceandHealth

PWC
    Superjet

Default Re: team discovers gene that turns cancers off

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX
    A unique gene that can stop cancerous cells from multiplying into tumours has been discovered by a team of scientists at the B.C. Cancer Agency in Vancouver.
    I just lost my father couple weeks ago from cancer and there wasnt anything we could do. I donate money to Canadian Cancer so they can find findings like this.

Canadian Cancer Society

half my moms paycheck goes to that and part of my dads, both my grandpas have had cancer

Lost my folks that way as well. Sure hope that after collecting donations for the past couple+ decades that they have some integrity and save us rather than profiteering from treatments. Remember?